- 1/2 kg ham, bacon, gammon leftovers
- 1 pack Batchelor's Quick Soak peas
- Prepare a ham stock by boiling a hambone or scraps of leftover bacon or ham in about a litre of water for a half hour or more (a couple of hours is even better)
- Chop the bacon into very small pieces and boil it in 750ml of the stock for at least 20 minutes
- Prepare the Quick Soak peas as directed on the package (plan ahead, they have to be soaked for 2 hours before use). The finished peas should be moist and mushy
- Stir the peas into the stock and return to the boil, season with garlic, chives, salt and pepper, then simmer for another half hour or so (until it thickens) before serving
This recipe makes a very filling and nutritious thick soup. I served mine with homemade garlic bread (melt some butter in a pan over gentle heat, add powdered garlic to taste, stir in chopped fresh or dried chives then pour over toasted bread). The smell of this soup, while it is cooking, will drive you crazy.